Health authorities have lifted a restriction on the use of eggs sourced from a major Victorian free-range producer at the centre of a recent salmonella outbreak.
Victoria's health department on Tuesday lifted its advisory which had warned restaurants, cafes and caterers to not use eggs sourced from the company Green Eggs in any raw-egg dishes.
The advisory had been in place since March 3 when the producer's eggs were linked to outbreaks of gastroenteritis, due to salmonella, in two Victorian restaurants.
More than 200 people became ill after eating dishes containing raw egg at the Bottle of Milk restaurant in Torquay, and at St Kilda's Newmarket hotel.
Deputy chief health officer Dr Michael Ackland said the company had worked hard to meet the requirements put in place as a result of the outbreaks.
"I am satisfied now that there is no increased risk if eggs supplied by Green Eggs are used in raw-egg products," he said.
Common raw-egg dishes include mayonnaise, aioli and tiramisu.
Dr Ackland said these foods can be a risk irrespective of their source, especially for the elderly and people with lowered immunity, children and pregnant women.
Green Eggs, based in Victoria's west, has 33,000 free-range hens which produce around 180,000 eggs per week.
Founder Alan Green said the company had introduced an additional washing step to its egg production.
"Today is a massive turning point for our customers to be able to use that egg again," Mr Green said.
Mr Green said the company's sales fell by 70 per cent as a result of the incident.