- 250g small brown or green lentils
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100g thick bacon or pancetta, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely sliced
- 400g canned tomatoes, chopped
- 400g canned chickpeas, drained
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp parsley, roughly chopped
Rinse the lentils and place in a pot with the garlic cloves, bay leaves and 1.5 litres of cold water. Cook for 30 minutes or until almost tender, skimming occasionally.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the bacon, onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring well, for 10 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, stir well, then add the lentils and their water.
Simmer for 20 minutes until nice and soupy. Add the chickpeas, salt and pepper, and simmer for a further 10 minutes or longer, adding extra water if necessary.
To serve, stir in the parsley and serve in warm soup bowls.
This recipe is featured in the book, Winter which is available now in all good bookstores RRP $34.95. To order direct call 1300 656 059 or visit www.smh.com.au/store
- Main Ingredients - Lentils
- Cuisine - Italian