Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 1.5kg brown onions, peeled and sliced
- 500g cooking apples such as granny smith, peeled, cored and sliced
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 300ml water
- 600ml white wine vinegar
- 1kg white sugar
- 60ml honey
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 100ml chopped tinned tomatoes, or tomato puree
- 2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
In a large, non-aluminium pot, place the sliced onions, apples, lemon juice and zest together with the water. Cover and cook over a medium heat until soft. Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for about 1 1/4 hours, until the onions have reduced to a sticky pickle. Transfer the mixture to sterilised jars. It will keep for a few months.
This is great in a sandwich with ham and cheese or as an accompaniment to cold cuts.
- Cuisine - British