- 75 g (2 1/2 oz/1 cup) unprocessed bran
- 375 ml (13 fl oz/1 1/2 cups) buttermilk
- 185 ml (6 fl oz/3/4 cup) maple syrup
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 60 ml (2 fl oz/1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 1 cooking apple (such as granny smith), peeled, cored and chopped
- 70 g (2 1/2 oz/1/2 cup) hazelnuts, toasted, peeled and chopped
- 250 g (9 oz/2 cups) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Grease a 12-hole standard muffin tin, or line the holes with paper cases.
2. Put the bran and buttermilk in a bowl, stirring to mix well. Set aside for 5 minutes.
3. Add the maple syrup, egg, oil, apple and hazelnuts and stir to combine well. Sift the flour and cinnamon over the mixture, then gently fold in until just combined. Do not overmix, the batter should be slightly lumpy.
4. Spoon the batter into the muffin holes. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
5. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 2 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Serve warm.
- Main Ingredients - Apple
- Course - Dessert
- Occasion - Afternoon Tea, Children's Party