Bright taste: Apple, celery and walnut salad. Photo: Steven Siewert
2 celery stalks and leaves
2 tbsp walnuts
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp extra virgin olive or coconut oil
1 tbsp natural yoghurt
1 tbsp raw honey
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp salted capers, rinsed
sea salt and black pepper
1 green apple, unpeeled
1 crisp red apple, unpeeled
big handful watercress sprigs
1. String the celery and finely slice, then roughly chop the celery leaves. Heat the walnuts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds in a hot, dry pan until they smell toasty.
2. Whisk the vinegar, olive oil, yoghurt, honey, garlic, capers, sea salt and pepper in a bowl.
3. To julienne the apples, slice off the cheeks, discard the cores, then slice each cheek into half-moons and slice again, lengthwise, into matchsticks.
4. Combine the apple, celery and leaves and watercress and lightly toss. Drizzle with the apple cider vinaigrette, scatter with toasted walnuts and seeds, and serve.
- Main Ingredients - Apple, Nuts, Yoghurt
- Cuisine - Contemporary
- Course - Starter/Entree, Side Dish
- Occasion - Australia Day, Barbecue, Family meals, Midweek dinner, Picnic