Properly prepared, artichokes need not be a prickly issue.
Have your say
- 1 pkt 12cm-diameter Boureyk (brik) pastry
- (1 packet has 32 x 12cm circles)*
- Preserved lemon butter:
- 60g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 quarter preserved lemon, flesh discarded, rinsed, dried and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp flatleaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 artichokes, trimmed to hearts as described, poached, cooled and drained
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 20g unsalted butter
- 4 small flat mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 500g broad beans, podded and double-peeled
- 1 tbsp flatleaf parsley
- freshly ground black pepper
- 60g firm goat's cheese
- 2 handfuls small salad leaves
Preheat oven to 200C. Mix butter, preserved lemon and parsley together with a fork. Place 4 circles of brik on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Spread each circle with a little of the softened preserved lemon butter, spreading gently with the back of a spoon. Cover with another disc of pastry.
Repeat the buttering and layering until you have 4 layers of pastry. Drizzle the olive oil over the top layer. Lightly place a second baking tray on top of the discs and bake for 10 minutes.
Remove top tray and cook for a further 5 minutes until golden brown. Cool for a minute or two and then lift on to a cake cooler to cool completely. When cool, return bases to the baking tray.·
Poach trimmed artichoke hearts in the chicken stock for about 15 minutes until the point of a small knife slips through the heart without resistance. Cool, then lift from the stock and drain.
Cut each heart into 4-6 pieces.· Heat oil and butter in a non-stick frying pan large enough to take the mushroom slices and the artichoke pieces in a single layer. Saute mushrooms and artichokes over medium heat until they start to brown at the edges. Add broad beans, parsley and freshly ground pepper. Toss to mix and pile filling on to cooked tart bases. Dot with pieces of goat's cheese. Return to the oven for a few minutes until cheese starts to soften.·
Arrange a pile of greens on each serving plate. Top with a hot tart and serve immediately.
4 individual tarts* packets of pre-cut circles are available from essential ingredient. middle eastern grocers in sydney road, brunswick, usually stock bigger sheets that can be cut to size