Don't stop until you get enough: Asian slaw. Photo: Edwina Pickles
500g Chinese cabbage
75g small red cabbage
100g carrot, peeled
3 green (spring) onions
100g snow peas
1 red chilli
1 cup coriander sprigs
1 cup mint leaves
1 cup Asian basil leaves
2 tsp soft brown sugar
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp fish sauce or soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
sea salt and pepper
2 tbsp beer nuts or cashews, roughly chopped
1. Cut the Chinese cabbage in half, lengthwise, then finely shred crosswise.
2. Finely shred the red cabbage.
3. Cut the carrot into long shavings with a vegetable peeler then cut into long thin matchsticks.
4. Cut the spring onions, snow peas and chilli into long matchsticks. Toss with the cabbages, carrot, coriander, mint and basil.
5. To make the dressing, whisk the sugar and vinegar together, then whisk in the fish sauce, sesame oil, chilli sauce and olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Pour over the cabbage mixture and lightly toss, scatter with nuts and serve.
Serves 4 as salad
- Main Ingredients - Cabbage, Nuts
- Cuisine - Vietnamese
- Course - Starter/Entree, Light lunch
- Occasion - Barbecue, Family meals, Midweek dinner, Picnic