Photo: Jennifer Soo
- 200g brown or green lentils
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 300g tin chickpeas, drained
- Small handful watercress
- 1 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 free-range eggs
- Splash of vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil and add the lentils. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Cut the asparagus into 1cm pieces. Place the asparagus and chickpeas in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the lentils, asparagus, chickpeas and watercress. Add the mustard and stir through. Season to taste.
- Poach four eggs by bringing a large pan of shallow water to a gentle simmer. Add a splash of vinegar. Cook the eggs, two at a time, by gently cracking them into the water. Poach for about 3 minutes, or until cooked but with runny yolks.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and pat dry with paper towel.
- To serve, spoon a mound of lentil salad on to each serving plate. Place an egg on top and drizzle with olive oil.
- Main Ingredients - Lentils, Eggs, Chickpeas
- Course - Side Dish, Lunch
- Occasion - Family meals