- butter, for greasing
- 2 granny smith apples
- 40 g (1 1/2 oz) marzipan, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mixed peel
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons amaretto or brandy
- thick vanilla custard or whipped cream, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F/Gas 5). Grease a deep 1 litre (35 fl oz /4 cup) capacity ovenproof dish.
2. Peel the top one-third of each apple, then, using an apple corer, remove the cores. Place the apples in the prepared dish.
3. Combine the marzipan and mixed peel and place a quarter of the mixture in each apple cavity, pressing it in firmly. Spoon the chocolate into each apple, pressing it in firmly, then top with the remaining marzipan mixture, pressing to mound the mixture on the top of each apple. Press in the almonds.
4. In a small saucepan, combine the butter, 2 tablespoons water, honey and amaretto or brandy and stir over a low heat until boiling. Spoon the mixture over the apples.
5. Cover the dish with foil, then bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes or until the apples are tender and the topping is golden. Cool slightly, then place an apple in a serving bowl, spoon the sauce over and serve with the custard or whipped cream.
- Main Ingredients - Apple
- Course - Dessert
- Occasion - Dinner Party