- 500 g (1 lb) pork and veal mince
- ½ cup (50 g/1¾ oz) dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (100 g/3½ oz) freshly grated parmesan
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12–15 cannelloni tubes
- 375 g (12 oz) fresh ricotta cheese
- ½ cup (60 g/2 oz) freshly grated Cheddar cheese
- 425 ml (14 fl oz) can tomato purée (passata)
- 425 g (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1. Preheat the oven to moderate 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Lightly brush a rectangular casserole dish with melted butter or oil.
2. In a bowl, combine the pork and veal mince, breadcrumbs, half the Parmesan, egg, oregano and salt and pepper, to taste. Use a teaspoon to stuff the cannelloni tubes with the mince mixture. Set aside.
3. To make the tomato sauce, bring the tomato purée, tomato and garlic to the boil in a medium pan. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the basil and pepper, to taste, and stir well.
4. Spoon half the tomato sauce over the base of the prepared dish. Arrange the stuffed cannelloni tubes on top. Cover with the remaining sauce. Spread with ricotta cheese. Sprinkle with the combined remaining Parmesan and Cheddar cheeses. Bake, covered with foil, for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes, or until golden. Cut into squares for serving.
- Main Ingredients - Pork
- Cuisine - Italian
- Course - Main-course, Lunch, Dinner
- Occasion - Midweek dinner, Family meals, Dinner Party