Add a twist to your traditional Christmas side of baked potatoes. Photo: Marina Oliphant
16 medium Dutch Cream potatoes, skin on
600g rock salt
vegetable oil for deep frying
freshly ground pepper
200g sour cream
1 horseradish root
1. Cover the base of a baking tray with rock salt and place potatoes on top. Bake for 1 hour at 180C, remove from oven to cool.
2. Take potatoes off the salt and break open with fingers lengthways, leaving them roughly butterflied.
3. Deep-fry at 180C until golden, about 4 minutes. Don't crowd the fryer, as you want the potatoes to remain split so that all the rough edges become crisp. Frying with the cut side facing down helps to keep them open.
4. Place potatoes on a platter, season with salt and pepper, dollop on sour cream and grate horseradish over the top.
- Main Ingredients - Potato, Cream/Milk
- Course - Dinner
- Occasion - Family meals, Christmas