Baked fish Calabrian style
Soak salt cod in cold water for at least two days, says mum, changing the water daily to soften the flesh and remove the salt, bringing the fish back to life.
Have your say
- 1 side of salted cod, soaked in fresh water for 48 hours or
- 5 fillets of a white-fleshed fish
- ½ cup unbleached white flour
- sea salt
- 2 red onions, cut into 1cm wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, halved
- 3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- ¼ fennel bulb, sliced finely
- ¼ cup Ligurian olives
- 100ml white wine
- 5 strands saffron (soaked in 2 tbsp warm water)
- ½ cup virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp parsley
If you don't feel like doing the Calabrian mother thing with salted cod, buy fresh white-fleshed fish fillets such as blue eye or harpuka.
Preheat oven to 180C.Lightly coat the fish with flour and season with salt. Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry for a minute on each side to seal. Set aside.
Place the onions, garlic, tomatoes, fennel, olives, wine, saffron and water in a baking dish.
Top with the fish, douse with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and parsley. Cover and bake for about 15 minutes (depending on the thickness of the fish).
Serve on soft polenta and spoon the olive, tomato and saffron salsa over the top.