Barbecued atlantic salmon with cucumber and herb salad Photo: Natalie Boog
- 3 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 clove garlic, bruised
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- 4 salmon fillets (about 180-200g) skin on
- 3 lebanese cucumbers, halved lengthways, seeded and sliced
- leaves from half bunch coriander
- leaves from 6 sprigs mint, torn
- leaves from 6 sprigs Thai basil, torn
- 1 large red chilli, finely sliced
- 1½ tbsp lime juice
- 3 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped roasted peanuts
Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a small saucepan, add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove garlic and add sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, vinegar and ½ cup water. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes or until syrupy.
Brush both sides of salmon with remaining oil. Cook on a medium-hot barbecue for 2-4 minutes, skin side down, then turn and cook for a further 2-4 minutes or until cooked as desired. For cucumber salad, combine all ingredients except peanuts in a medium bowl and toss gently to combine.
To serve, place salmon on plates, drizzle with sauce and serve cucumber salad on the side, scattered with peanuts. Accompany with steamed jasmine rice.
- Main Ingredients - Fish
- Cuisine - Modern Australian
- Course - Main-course