Photo: Natalie Boog
- 3 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 clove garlic, bruised
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- 4 salmon fillets (about 180-200g) skin on
- Title:Cucumber salad
- 3 lebanese cucumbers, halved lengthways, seeded and sliced
- leaves from half bunch coriander
- leaves from 6 sprigs mint, torn
- leaves from 6 sprigs Thai basil, torn
- 1 large red chilli, finely sliced
- 11/2 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped roasted peanuts
Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a small saucepan, add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove garlic and add sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, vinegar and 1/2 cup water. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes or until syrupy.
Brush both sides of salmon with remaining oil. Cook on a medium-hot barbecue for 2-4 minutes, skin side down, then turn and cook for a further 2-4 minutes or until cooked as desired.For cucumber salad, combine all ingredients except peanuts in a medium bowl and toss gently to combine.
Place salmon on plates, drizzle with sauce and serve cucumber salad on the side, scattered with peanuts. Accompany with steamed jasmine rice.
- Main Ingredients - Fish
- Course - Main-course