Photo: Quentin Jones
- 75g toasted pine nuts
- 225ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup basil leaves, firmly packed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 75g finely grated parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- 4 spatchcocks, halved, backbone removed
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Roasted pumpkin and tomato (or other roasted vegetables), to serve
For pesto combine pine nuts, 125 millilitres olive oil, basil and garlic in a food processor and blend to a paste. Stir in parmesan and season to taste.
Put spatchcocks in a large shallow dish, add remaining olive oil and lemon zest. Season to taste and turn to coat in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Remove spatchcocks from marinade and barbecue or chargrill over medium heat for about six to eight minutes skin-side down, then turn and cook until tender and cooked through.
Serve with roasted pumpkin and tomato or other vegetables. Top with pesto.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken
- Course - Main-course