Healthy dinner: Beef, mint and lemongrass vermicelli noodles. Photo: Marina Oliphant
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp salt flakes
2 stems lemongrass, white part only, finely sliced
2 tsp prawn paste
4 tbsp coriander seed, coarsely ground
80ml olive oil
500g scotch fillet, thinly sliced
250g rice vermicelli
2 limes, juiced
3 tsp sugar
3 small red chillies, finely sliced
3 tbsp fish sauce
3 handful bean sprouts
½ bunch spring onions, finely sliced
2 handfuls snow peas, julienned
½ punnet cherry tomatoes, sliced
½ bunch Vietnamese mint
½ bunch Thai basil
100g peanuts, toasted and roughly chopped
1. Crush garlic, salt, lemongrass, prawn paste and coriander seed in a mortar and pestle, then add olive oil, making a paste.
2. In a separate bowl, toss beef slices with paste and marinate for at least 15 minutes.
3. Place a large frying pan over high heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the beef and all its marinade and fry for 4-5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, place the vermicelli in a large bowl, pour enough boiling water over to cover. Stand for 5 minutes, then drain.
5. Place the vermicelli on a serving plate, then top with the beef.
6. In a large bowl, combine lime juice, sugar, chilli and fish sauce. Add bean sprouts, spring onion, snow peas, tomatoes and herbs, tossing to combine, then scatter over the noodles and beef.
7. Top with chopped peanuts and serve.
Tip Chicken fillets or prawns can be used instead of beef.
- Main Ingredients - Beef, Noodles
- Cuisine - Vietnamese
- Course - Dinner, Light lunch
- Occasion - Family meals, Midweek dinner