Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 2 fresh salmon or ocean trout fillets, skinned
- 1 medium beetroot, peeled
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vodka
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 250g waxy potatoes (e.g. kipflers), peeled
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 tbsp oil for frying
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and pepper
- 12 cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 small pink radishes, finely sliced
- 1 tsp salted capers, rinsed
- 2 tbsp picked mint leaves
Pin-bone salmon fillets and trim off and discard any fatty flaps.
Roughly grate beetroot and mix with salt, sugar, vodka and dill. Put one-third of the mixture in a non-reactive dish, put salmon on top and cover with remaining beetroot mixture. Leave overnight in the fridge, then turn salmon over and re-cover with beetroot mixture until needed.
Cook potatoes in simmering salted water until just tender. Drain well, and slice. Whisk two tablespoons olive oil, vinegar, honey, mustard, sea salt and pepper in a bowl. Toss warm potatoes in the dressing with cherry tomatoes, radish, capers and mint.
Rinse salmon and pat dry. Heat remaining oil in a fry pan and sear salmon on both sides until done to your liking. Gently break salmon in half (where it cleaves naturally, showing off the pinkness of the flesh) and serve with warm potato salad.
- Main Ingredients - Fish
- Course - Main-course