Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra if needed
- 2 brown onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 green chillis, deseeded and finely chopped
- 500g chuck steak, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g tins black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- Handful fresh coriander leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 1 lime, juiced
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 4 tbsp sour cream to serve
Preheat oven to 150C. Heat oil in a large heavy-based oven-proof pot and cook onion, garlic and chilli until softened. Remove from pot and set aside.
Toss steak in flour then cook in batches in the pot until browned, adding extra oil if required. Return cooked vegetables to the pot and stir in tinned tomatoes. Cover and cook in oven for 1 1/2 hours.
Remove from oven and check if meat is tender. Add beans and capsicum and return to oven for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, make salsa. Chop avocado into small dice, quarter cherry tomatoes and mix with red onion and coriander leaves. Squeeze over lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Remove chilli from oven and serve with salsa and sour cream.
- Main Ingredients - Beef
- Cuisine - Mexican