Black garlic stuffed chicken roll. Photo: Edwina Pickles
- 1 whole head of black garlic
- 60g crustless stale bread
- 4 tbsp milk or white wine
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- Half a beaten egg
- Sea salt and pepper
- 4 chicken breasts, skin on (if the breasts are skinless, wrap with a slice of prosciutto.)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Peel the garlic cloves and set aside.
2. Soak the bread in milk for 5 minutes, then squeeze out excess milk. Mix the bread with the parsley, thyme, lemon zest, beaten egg, sea salt and pepper.
3. Place the chicken breasts skin-side down on a board. Working from the middle, butterfly the breasts, cutting horizontally into the thickest side of meat without cutting right through, then open it like a book and flatten slightly. Season well.
4. Arrange the stuffing and the garlic cloves down the middle of each breast, roll tightly into a cylinder and wrap in plastic wrap for an hour or two until required.
5. To serve, heat the oven to 200 degrees. Pan-fry the chicken in olive oil for 5 minutes until golden, then bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Slice, and serve with peas and rocket leaves, and any pan juices.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken, Bread, Eggs
- Course - Dinner