Photo: Marco Del Grande
- 1kg cuttlefish, cleaned and cut into 1/2cm-wide strips
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp passato (tomato puree)
- 3 fresh chillies, deseeded and left whole
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 500g fresh peas, shelled
Pat dry the cuttlefish with kitchen paper or a clean tea towel. Season the cuttlefish with a couple of good pinches of salt. Heat the olive oil in a pot and lightly fry the onion for five minutes, stirring continually.
Turn up the heat and add the cuttlefish, passato, chilli, pepper and parsley.
Add 1/2 a cup of water and bring to boil. Immediately turn down the heat to as low as possible, cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the shelled peas, stir and cover, simmering for a further 20-25 minutes until the peas are cooked. Season with salt to taste and serve hot with bread, cous cous, rice or polenta.
- Course - Main-course