Braised lamb chump chops with jalapenos, potato and oregano. Photo: Marcel Aucar
6 lamb chump chops
freshly ground black pepper
extra virgin olive oil
1 large brown onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
2 tbsp dried oregano
2 fresh jalapeno chillies, sliced in thick rings, seeds in
2 green capsicums, deseeded and cut into 8 pieces
3 medium Dutch cream potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm discs
2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp paprika
80ml white wine vinegar
2 handfuls plump sultanas
500ml quality chicken stock (*check gluten-free if required)
1. Preheat your oven to 180C fan-forced or 200C conventional.
2. Season the chops with salt and pepper. Heat about two tablespoons of olive oil in a large, heavy-based pot over medium heat and cook the chops for a couple of minutes on each side or until brown - you may need to do this in batches. Remove the chops and set aside.
3. Add a splash more oil to the pan and cook the onions, garlic, oregano, jalapenos and green capsicum for about six minutes, stirring frequently. Add the potatoes, allspice and paprika, season and cook for a further five minutes, stirring occasionally. Return the chops to the pan with the vinegar, sultanas and stock (add a little water if needed to just cover) and bring up to the simmer, put the lid on and cook in the oven for about one hour or until the chops are tender.
4. Remove the lid and cook for a further 15 minutes or so to reduce the liquid a little, check the seasoning and serve with good bread to mop up the juices.
Drink Try a soft red, like an unoaked tempranillo or grenache.
- Main Ingredients - Lamb, Potato
- Cuisine - Modern Australian
- Course - Dinner, Main-course
- Occasion - Midweek dinner, Family meals