- 1kg fresh broad beans
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup loosely packed coriander leaves
- 1 cup loosely packed mint leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 red chilli, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 lemon, zest and juice
- 1/2 cup plain flour for dusting
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 2 tbsp shredded mint leaves
Remove broad beans from their outer shells. Bring a pot of water to the boil, add beans and cook for a couple of minutes until soft. Remove and drain. Peel off outer pod and set aside.
Put beans and chickpeas in a food processor and pulse to combine. Add coriander, mint, salt, pepper, garlic, spices, lemon zest and juice and pulse until finely chopped. Use your hands to shape the mixture into 10-12 small patties, then lightly dust with flour to coat. Heat oil in a large frypan and cook fritters on both sides until lightly browned. Drain on paper towel and set aside. Mix yoghurt with shredded mint leaves and serve with fritters.