- 200 g (7 oz/1 cup) brown rice
- 100 ml (3 1/2 fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 garliccloves, crushed
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 200 g (7 oz/1 cup) puy lentils or tiny blue-green lentils
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 90 g (3 1/4 oz/2 cups) baby English spinach leaves
1. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the rice and some salt and cook for 20-30 minutes, or until tender. Drain and rinse, then set aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a saucepan. Sauté the onion, garlic, carrot and celery over low heat for 5 minutes, or until softened, then add the lentils and 375 ml (13 fl oz/1 1/2 cups) water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Drain well, but do not rinse.
3. Put the rice, tomato, coriander and mint in a large bowl. Add the lentil mixture and stir together.
4. Whisk the remaining oil with the vinegar and lemon juice. Season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and pour over the salad. Add the pine nuts and spinach and toss well to combine. Serve at room temperature.
- Main Ingredients - Rice, Lentils
- Cuisine - French
- Course - Side Dish
- Occasion - Family meals