Buttered apples with hazelnuts and Frangelico
Buy nuts that feel full and heavy in their shells. Once shelled, they are best stored in the refrigerator because, as with all nuts, they are highly perishable. To keep them from going rancid, they can also be stored in the freezer. Nuts are not porous and their fat content is high, so there is very little cellular degeneration during freezing.
Have your say
- 60g butter
- 3 apples, halved, cored and cut into 5mm thick slices
- 4 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp Frangelico (hazelnut-flavoured liqueur)
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 90g (3/4 cup) hazelnuts, roasted and coarsely chopped
- Thick cream or vanilla ice-cream, to serve
Melt 40g butter in a large frying pan, add apple and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden. Add remaining butter, honey, Frangelico, zest, juice and lnuts to pan. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously, then remove from heat. Divide apples among four serving bowls, drizzle with sauce and serve with thick cream or ice-cream.