Buttermilk waffles with maple bacon butter. Photo: Steven Siewert
2 large eggs, separated
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt
1 tbsp caster sugar
Maple syrup for serving
For the maple bacon butter:
100g softened butter
1 tbsp maple syrup
4 rashers crisp bacon
1. To make the maple bacon butter, crush the crisp bacon into bits and beat into the butter with the maple syrup. Chill until required.
2. Whisk the egg yolks lightly then whisk in the buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla. Sift the flour, cinnamon and salt into a second bowl and stir in the sugar. Make a well in the centre and add the egg mixture, mixing lightly until smooth.
3. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the batter.
4. Heat the waffle-iron or waffle-maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
5. To cook the waffles, ladle the batter into each mould and cook for 5 minutes or until golden. Serve with maple bacon butter and extra maple syrup.
Tip: For super-crisp bacon, lay the rashers flat on an oven tray and bake at 190 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Main Ingredients - Eggs, Pork
- Cuisine - German
- Course - Breakfast/Brunch, Dessert
- Occasion - Kids' cooking, Dinner Party