Photo: Marina Oliphant
- For the salad
- 6 small calamai, cleaned and sliced into rings, tentacles cut into clusters
- 1 Granny Smith apple, unpeeled and cut into julienne
- 3 shallots, very finely sliced
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp freshly torn mint leaves
- 3 tbsp peanuts
- 12 crunchy cos or iceberg lettuce leaves
- For the dressing
- 2 fresh chillies, seeded and finely sliced
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
For the dressing
Mix all ingredients and reserve in a small bowl until needed.
For the salad
Place calamari in a small saucepan with 3 tbsp of water and put the lid on tightly. Bring to boil over medium heat (perhaps 3 minutes). Lift lid, give a big stir, replace lid for another minute then taste a ring. If tender, immediately drain the calamari through a colander. Shake.
Combine with apple, 2/3 of the shallots, herbs and peanuts. Mix and drizzle with dressing.
Pile into salad leaves.
Gently saute the remaining sliced shallots in a trace of oil until golden. Drain on a paper towel. Scatter over the finished salad.
This recipe is featured in the book, Summer which is available now in all good bookstores RRP $34.95. To order direct call 1300 656 059 or visit www.smh.com.au/store