- 1 cup white rice - sweet, sushi and arborio all work well
- 5 cups milk, or soy, rice or oat milk or a mixture
- 2 strands of saffron, soaked in 2 tbsp warm water for 30 minutes
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup or sugar
- 1/3 cup raisins, optional
- pinch of sea salt
- 3-4 cardamom pods, shelled and finely ground
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
Combine the rice, milk, dissolved saffron and water, vanilla bean, sugar/rice syrup, raisins if using, salt and powdered cardamom.
Mix well and bring to a boil, then place on a flame deflector and cook on very low heat, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 hours. At this point, take great care not to bring the rice to a boil - just allow all the ingredients to steep to create a thick and creamy texture. Just before serving, remove the vanilla bean and stir in the lemon zest. Serve the pudding warm or chilled and top with poached pink quinces or chilled mango slices.
- Cuisine - Indian
- Course - Dessert