Carrot and curry leaf bhajis, pickled carrots. Photo: Marco Del Grande
- 400ml water
- 150ml white wine vinegar
- 5 tbsp castor sugar
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- 8 yellow baby carrots, peeled
- 100g chickpea flour
- ½ tsp bi-carbonate of soda
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- Vegetable oil for shallow frying
- 1 medium brown onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 6 baby purple carrots, scrubbed and coarsely grated
- 1 small handful curry leaves
Bring 300 millilitres water, vinegar, sugar, cumin and mustard seeds to the boil in a saucepan. Place yellow carrots in a clean container and pour over hot liquid. Leave in the fridge overnight to lightly pickle.
Place chickpea flour, bi-carbonate, turmeric and salt in a bowl. Add remaining water and stir to make a smooth paste. Heat oil in a pan. Add remaining ingredients to paste and combine. Add heaped tablespoons of bhaji mix to hot oil and fry until puffed and golden, turning once.
Drain on paper towel and serve with pickled carrots.
- Main Ingredients - Carrot
- Cuisine - Indian
- Course - Snacks, Starter/Entree
- Occasion - Dinner Party, Cocktail Party