Carrot and potato salad with caraway, lemon and nigella seeds is beautiful served with sardines. Photo: Marcel Aucar
6 large organic carrots, peeled
2 large Dutch cream potatoes, peeled
3 tsp caraway seeds
1 large lemon, juiced
80ml extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp nigella seeds
1 handful coriander leaves, to serve
1. Cut the carrots into thick rounds. Cut the potato into pieces roughly the same size as the carrots.
2. Cook the carrots and potatoes in salted water with the caraway seeds for around 25 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Reserve some of the carrot rounds and roughly mash the remaining carrot and potato with a fork. Add the lemon juice and most of the oil and mash until you have a coarse paste. Check and adjust the seasoning and pile into a serving bowl.
3. Roll the reserved pieces of carrot in the remaining oil and nigella seeds to coat, drop on top of the paste and finish with the coriander leaves.
Great served with smashed sardines and fresh bread or toast.
Serve with Karen Martini's smashed sardines
- Main Ingredients - Carrot, Potato
- Course - Side Dish, Lunch, Starter/Entree