Great with pork: Celeriac, apple and kale slaw with sour cream, dehydrated anchovy and roast garlic dressing. Photo: Marcel Aucar
1 large whole garlic bulb
80ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra
10 high-quality anchovies (pink and fleshy ones)
150g sour cream
1 lemon, juiced
freshly ground black pepper
1 small celeriac, peeled, sliced on a mandolin and julienned
1 bunch kale, stalks removed and leaves shredded (chiffonade)
1 granny smith apple, sliced thinly and slices then cut in half
1. Preheat the oven to 180C fan-forced or 200C conventional.
2. Drizzle the garlic bulb with olive oil, wrap in foil and roast for about 35 minutes, or until fragrant and soft.
3. While the garlic roasts, bake the anchovies flat on a tray lined with baking paper for about five minutes or until brown and powdery-looking. Remove to cool and dry out.
4. Squeeze the garlic paste out of the skin (about two heaped tablespoons) and into a small bowl. Mash up with a fork and mix in the sour cream, oil and lemon juice, along with a splash of water to loosen the dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
5. In a large bowl, mix the celeriac, kale and apple together, add the dressing and toss to coat. Tip this into your serving bowl(s), crumble over the dried anchovies and serve.
- Main Ingredients - Apple, Fish
- Cuisine - American (US)
- Course - Side Dish, Starter/Entree, Lunchbox
- Occasion - Barbecue, Australia Day, Family meals, Picnic