- ½ cup water
- 1 large pinch saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 red capsicums, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 chorizo (about 150g), thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1 litre good-quality chicken stock
- 300g (2½ cups) shredded barbecued chicken
- 400g tin chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, to serve
- toasted sourdough bread, to serve
1. Combine the water and saffron and set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, capsicum and chorizo and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and both paprikas and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
3. Add the saffron mixture, tomato and stock to the pan. Increase the heat to high. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook gently for 20 minutes.
4. Stir in the chicken and chickpeas, season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately, sprinkled with the parsley, and accompanied by the toasted sourdough.
- Main Ingredients - Chickpeas, Chicken
- Cuisine - Spanish
- Course - Starter/Entree