Chicken adobo for tacos
A traditional Mexican taco filling laced with chipotle chillies.
Photo: William Meppem
Have your say
- 4 chicken thigh fillets or use pork instead
- 1 tomato
- 1 red capsicum, cut in half and de-seeded
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp roasted cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp honey
- sea salt
- 2 dried chipotle chillies, soaked and de-seeded
- 3 dried red chillies, soaked and de-seeded
Place all ingredients in a pressure cooker with 1/4 cup water. Cook for 16 minutes on full pressure, release pressure and, when you can take the lid off, transfer thighs to a bowl. If you don't have a pressure cooker, place ingredients in a large saucepan, cover with water and simmer gently for 1 hour. Shred the meat with tongs.
Place the sauce in a blender and purée. Combine the sauce and the chicken. This can be served hot or at room temperature.
To make a feast of it, serve with:
- Tomato salsa
- Grilled flathead for tacos
- Grilled skirt steak for tacos
- Aromatic salad
- Mexican mayonnaise
- Corn on the cob with cheese and lime