Photo: Edwina Pickles
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup fish sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp fresh chilli, sliced
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 400ml can coconut cream
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 250g chicken breast, poached briefly in salted water and shredded
- 1 cup green mango, julienned
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch finely chopped spring onions
- 1 packet rice paper sheets
- 1/2 packet rice vermicelli, cooked as per packet, cooled
Put rice on baking tray in hot oven, shaking occasionally until golden. Cool, grind in mortar and pestle or coffee grinder to make rice powder. Reserve. Make nuoc cham dipping sauce by combining fish sauce, water, fresh chilli and caster sugar, simmer until dissolved. Cool. Mix coconut cream, salt and sugar and simmer until dissolved. Add the poached, shredded chicken and set aside in a bowl. In another bowl, mix the green mango, mint, coriander and shallots and sprinkle with 1 tsp rice powder.
Put a bowl of lukewarm water and four equal sized dinner plates on table. Working quickly, dip a rice sheet briefly in the water, turning it quickly. Shake off excess water. Lay it on a plate. Repeat with all 4 plates. Just below the centre of each sheet, place a walnut-sized amount of the shredded chicken topped with a similar amount of noodles and green mango-herb mix.
Pick up the edge closest to you, fold the bottom edge of the rice sheet tightly over the mixture. Fold in the left and right sides and complete the roll. Repeat. Serve with nuoc cham dipping sauce.
Makes 10-12 rolls
- Main Ingredients - Chicken
- Cuisine - Vietnamese
- Course - Finger-food