Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 500g chicken livers
- 400g wild mushrooms
- 4 slices bacon or pancetta
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 red shallots, finely sliced
- pinch cayenne
- sea salt and pepper
- 100ml dry white wine or stock
- handful of baby spinach leaves
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
Clean the livers, cut in half, and trim off any icky bits.
Wipe the mushrooms clean, trim and slice.
Grill or pan-fry the bacon until crisp and set aside. Grill or toast the bread and keep warm.
Melt half the butter and oil in a large frying pan and cook the shallots and mushrooms over medium heat until tender. Add remaining butter and oil, turn the heat up, and add the chicken livers, cayenne, sea salt and pepper, tossing well until the livers are browned.
Add the white wine and allow to bubble away for 1 minute. Place spinach on top of each toast, and pile the mushrooms and chicken livers on top - the spinach will wilt on the way to the table.
Top with parsley and bacon and serve.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken, Mushroom
- Cuisine - French
- Course - Lunch