Perfect for summer: chicken noodle salad. Photo: William Meppem
• 1 tsp vegetable oil
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 300g fresh thin egg noodles
• 1 cup cooked shredded chicken breast
• ½ red onion, finely sliced
• ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1 Lebanese cucumber, cut into very fine matchsticks
• 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
• 2 tbsp soy sauce
• 2 tbsp rice vinegar
• 2 tbsp cold water
• 1 tbsp sugar
• 1 tsp sesame oil
Combine all the ingredients for the dressing and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add the vegetable oil. Season the beaten eggs with a little salt and pour into the pan, rotating the pan to create a thin layer of egg. Fry for about 2 minutes until the egg is cooked through, then transfer to a cutting board. Roll the egg and slice into thin strips.
Bring a large pot of unsalted water to the boil and cook the noodles according to the packet directions.
Rinse well under cold running water until the noodles are cool to the touch. Drain well.
Divide the noodles between two plates, along with the egg and the remaining ingredients. Pour the dressing over the top and toss.
To make shredded chicken breast, boil a saucepan of water and add one chicken breast. Simmer for 5 minutes, then turn off the heat and let the chicken stand in the water for a further 10 minutes. Shred with your fingers.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken, Noodles
- Cuisine - Contemporary
- Course - Lunch, Main-course, Starter/Entree, Side Dish
- Occasion - Family meals, Picnic, Midweek dinner, Picnic