- 1 kg (2 lb) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups (500 ml/16 fl oz) chicken stock
- 60 g (2 oz) butter
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- ½ cup (60 g/2½ oz) plain flour
- ½ cup (125 ml/4 fl oz) milk
- 8 sheets filo pastry (40 × 30 cm/16 × 12 inches)
- 60 g (2 oz) butter, extra, melted
- 200 g (7 oz) feta, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Pour the stock into a saucepan and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, add the chicken and poach gently for 10–15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Drain, reserving the stock. Add water to the stock to bring the quantity up to 2 cups (500 ml/16 fl oz). Preheat the oven to moderate 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat, add the spring onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir for 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually add the chicken stock and milk, stirring after each addition. Return to the heat and gently bring to the boil, stirring. Simmer for a few minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat.
3. Line a baking dish measuring 25 × 18 × 4 cm (10 × 7 × 1½ inches) with 4 sheets of filo pastry, brushing one side of each sheet with melted butter as you go. Place the buttered side down. The filo will overlap the edges of the dish. Cover the unused filo with a damp tea towel to prevent it drying out.
4. Stir the chicken, feta, dill, chives, nutmeg and egg into the sauce. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pile the mixture on top of the filo pastry in the dish. Fold the overlapping filo over the filling and cover the top of the pie with the remaining 4 sheets of filo, brushing each sheet with melted butter as you go. Scrunch the edges of the filo so they fit in the dish. Brush the top with butter. Bake for 45–50 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and crisp.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken
- Course - Dinner, Main-course
- Occasion - Midweek dinner, Dinner Party, Family meals