- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red capsicum, chopped
- 100 g pumpkin, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into small cubes
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 130 g can corn kernels, drained
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 40 g butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, for glazing
1. Brush four 1-cup capacity ramekins with melted butter. Preheat the oven to 210°C (190°C gas). Heat the oil in a small pan. Add the onions and capsicum and cook until just soft. Steam or microwave the pumpkin and carrot until tender. Drain the vegetables and combine in a bowl with the onion mixture, peas, corn and chicken; mix well. Melt the butter in a small pan. Add the flour and stir for 1 minute or until lightly golden and bubbling. Add the combined milk and stock gradually, stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
2. Remove from the heat, add to the chicken and vegetables and stir to combine. Spoon the mixture into the prepared ramekins.
3. Cut four circles of pastry, slightly larger than the tops of the dishes. Score a pattern into the pastry, using a sharp knife.
4. Place a circle over the filling of one dish and press the edges around the rim to seal. Repeat with remaining pastry and dishes. Cut small circles from the leftover pastry and place them on top of the pies, to decorate. Brush all over pastry with beaten egg. Bake the pies for 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Serve immediately.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken
- Course - Main-course
- Occasion - Family meals, Midweek dinner