Chinese XO sauce adds spice and richness to dishes. It's perfect paired with chicken. Photo: William Meppem
3 tbsp vegetable oil
400g skinless chicken thigh fillets, each cut into three pieces
3/4 cup red capsicum, de-seeded and cut into large dice
1 cup green beans, in 6cm lengths
1/4 cup spring onions, in 6cm lengths
1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
*150g XO sauce
1 tbsp yellow bean soy sauce
1/2 cup fresh black fungi, torn into bite-sized pieces soy sauce, to taste
steamed rice, to serve
* Jill Dupleix's XO sauce recipe
* Neil Perry's XO sauce recipe
Heat half the oil in a wok over high heat until very hot. Add the chicken pieces and seal until lightly browned on the outside and just cooked. Remove chicken pieces from wok and set aside.
Heat the remaining oil in the wok, add the capsicum and the beans and stir-fry until tender. Return the cooked chicken then add the spring onions and Shaoxing wine.
Reduce the heat, add XO sauce, yellow bean soy sauce and fungi and mix through thoroughly. Check seasoning and add soy sauce to taste.
Spoon on to a large plate and serve with steamed rice.
* Serve this chicken stir-fry with steamed rice as a main, with this noodle soup to start, or with steamed fish and vegetables in oyster sauce as a shared banquet.
- More Chinese banquet recipe ideas
Photography by William Meppem. Food styling by Hannah Meppem. Food preparation by Nick Banbury.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken, Rice, Mushroom
- Cuisine - Chinese
- Course - Main-course, Side Dish, Dinner
- Occasion - Family meals, Dinner Party, New Years