Photo: William Meppem
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 free-range chicken breasts, winglet attached and skin on
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 80g pancetta, cut into lardons
- 12 heads baby fennel, cut in half and boiled until tender
- 1 small celeriac, peeled, cut into quarters and boiled until tender
- 2 small red onions, peeled, cut into quarters and boiled until tender
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp good-quality red wine vinegar
Heat a non-stick pan large enough to hold the 4 chicken breasts to medium-hot.
Add a splash of olive oil.
Season the chicken with sea salt and place, skin side down, in the pan.
Cook for 5-6 minutes, then turn over carefully and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Rest the chicken in a warm place while you finish the vegetables.
Add a little more olive oil to the pan with the remaining ingredients, except the butter and vinegar.
Turn the heat up and cook the vegetables, stirring all the time, until they start to brown and heat through.
Add the vinegar and butter and remove the pan from the heat.
Swirl the pan until the butter makes a sauce, add freshly ground pepper and check the seasoning.
Divide the vegetables among 4 plates and place a chicken breast on top of each.
Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, add a pinch more seasoning and serve.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken