Photo: Rebecca Hallas
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- a pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 whole preserved lemon, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Marinate the chicken in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the cumin, paprika and chilli for about one hour.
In a heavy-based pan, gently cook the onions and garlic in a little olive oil until soft and pale golden. Remove to a dish and set aside. In the same pan fry the chicken pieces until golden brown all over and season with salt and pepper. Add the onions back to the chicken with the preserved lemon and chicken stock or water.
Cover with a lid and simmer very gently for about 45-50 minutes or until very soft.
Sprinkle with coriander and serve.
Great served with a rice pilaf or crusty white bread.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken
- Course - Main-course