Photo: Natalie Boog
- 2 medium brown onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 200ml extra virgin olive oil
- 50ml red wine vinegar
- 1.2kg ripe tomatoes, blanched, peeled and de-seeded
- 1/2 bunch basil leaves
- 2 slices sourdough bread, crust removed and torn into pieces
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
In a heavy-based saucepan, season and gently cook the onions, garlic and bay leaf in the olive oil till soft (about 15 minutes). Add vinegar, allow to cool and remove bay leaf. Add tomatoes and basil (reserving a few leaves for garnish) and blend until as smooth as you can get it. If very thick, add a small amount of water. Check seasoning and chill in the fridge.
Meanwhile, toast bread in the oven until golden brown.
Pour soup evenly into 4 bowls. Garnish with bread and finely shredded basil leaves.
- Main Ingredients - Tomato