Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- ½ green capsicum, finely diced
- 600g lean minced beef
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp jalapeno peppers, chopped
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 250ml light red wine
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 400g can tomatoes, chopped
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained
- Sea salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
Heat oil in a large frying pan and cook onion for five minutes until softened. Add garlic, stirring, then capsicum and minced beef, breaking it up as it fries. Cook until nicely browned, about 10 minutes.
Add cumin, jalapeno peppers, dried chilli, oregano and sugar, stirring. Add red wine, bring to boil, simmer for five minutes.
Add tomato paste, tomatoes, kidney beans and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, add coriander and serve.
- Main Ingredients - Beef
- Cuisine - Mexican
- Course - Dinner