Memories of burnt sausages with store-bought tomato sauce are fondly etched in my mind, but a modern barbecue needs a more fiery kick.
Photo: Marina Oliphant
Have your say
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in a small saucepan over a medium-high heat.
Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
Place in serving bowl and allow to cool before serving.