Chinese-braised chicken. Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- 1 size 16 free-range chicken, jointed
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- Knob of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/2 bunch green onions, finely sliced plus extra for garnish
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp Chinese rice wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 tbsp dark soy
- 500ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
Mix flour and five spice, then coat chicken pieces. Heat oil in a heavy-based pot and brown chicken in batches. Remove and set aside.
Add onion, garlic, ginger, green onions, chilli and cook for a few minutes. Add chicken and remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover with lid and simmer for 40 minutes until chicken is tender.
Garnish with extra green onions and serve with rice.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken
- Cuisine - Chinese