- 250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) soy sauce
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 75 g (2 3/4 oz/ 1/3 cup) sugar
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2.5 cm (1 inch) piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1.5 kg (3 lb 5 oz) chicken pieces on the bone (skin removed)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, to garnish
1. Combine 1 litre (35 fl oz/4 cups) water with the soy sauce, cinnamon, sugar, vinegar, ginger, garlic and chilli flakes in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Add the chicken and simmer, covered, for 50 minutes, or until cooked through. Serve on a bed of steamed greens and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken
- Cuisine - Chinese
- Course - Main-course