Serve soup with grilled sourdough that's been rubbed with garlic and olive oil. Photo: William Meppem
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
15g unsalted butter
1 medium trimmed leek, white and light green parts only, washed well,
1/4 cup (40g) rindless smoky bacon, finely diced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 tsp rosemary leaves, finely chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
200g peeled celeriac, cut into 1 1/2 cm pieces
2 tbsp white wine
250g chicken thigh fillet, cut into 1cm dice
1 cup tinned tomatoes, chopped
6 cups chicken stock
400g tin borlotti beans, rinsed well
freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely sliced, to serve
freshly grated parmesan cheese, to serve
extra virgin olive oil, to serve
In a heavy-based pot, heat the olive oil with the butter over medium heat and gently cook the leeks, bacon, garlic, rosemary and salt until softened (about 5 minutes). Add the celeriac and cook for 2 minutes.
Deglaze the pot with wine then simmer for 1 minute.
Add the chicken, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, skim the surface and simmer for 40 minutes. Add the beans and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Check seasoning and add more chicken stock if needed for correct consistency.
Spoon the soup into 4 bowls, give a good grind of pepper, and sprinkle with parsley and parmesan. Drizzle over extra virgin olive oil and serve.
* To add further dimension to the chicken soup, serve it with grilled or toasted sourdough bread that has been rubbed with garlic and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.
* If celeriac isn't for you, replace it with another winter vegetable, such as parsnip, fennel or artichoke.
Photography by William Meppem. Food styling by Hannah Meppem. Food preparation by Nick Banbury.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken, Onion/Leek, Beans
- Course - Starter/Entree, Lunch
- Occasion - Midweek dinner, Family meals