A flavour combination that seems strange on paper may knock your socks off. Photo: William Meppem
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 tbsp lemon juice
chopped flesh from 1/4 large, seedless watermelon
1. Combine the water, sugar and cinnamon in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and allow to cool, then remove the cinnamon stick and stir in the lemon juice.
2. Blend the watermelon flesh in a food processor or blender and strain through a fine sieve. Stir through the granita syrup and chill in the fridge. Transfer to a tray in the freezer and freeze for about five hours, scraping the granita with a fork every couple of hours until well frozen, fluffy and flaky. Allow to freeze completely then scrape the granita one final time to serve.
3. Serve in chilled bowls or glasses.
- Course - Finger-food, Dessert
- Occasion - Cocktail Party, Dinner Party, Afternoon Tea, New Years