- 60 g (2 1/4 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 170 g (6 oz/3/4 cup) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/1/2 cup) citrus juice
- 250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) milk
- 60 g (2 1/4 oz/1/2 cup) self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons finely grated citrus zest
- ice cream, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Lightly grease a 1.25 litre (44 fl oz/5 cup) baking dish.
2. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl using electric beaters until pale and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the citrus juice, milk, flour and zest, mixing well.
3. Whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until stiff peaks form, then gently fold them into the batter. Spoon the mixture into the baking dish. Put the dish in a large roasting tin and pour in enough hot water to come halfway up the side of the dish.
4. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until golden (cover the top with foil if it browns too quickly). Serve hot or warm, with ice cream.
- Main Ingredients - Eggs
- Course - Dessert
- Occasion - Family meals, Afternoon Tea