Cooing, calming goodness: Coconut chicken salad. Photo: William Meppem
400ml coconut milk
3 tbsp fish sauce
4 x 200g chicken breasts
250g green beans, topped, not tailed
2 small Lebanese cucumbers
2 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp lime or lemon juice
good handful coriander sprigs
good handful Asian basil leaves
good handful mint leaves
½ green chilli, julienned
2 tbsp salted peanuts, chopped
lime or lemon wedges, for serving
salt to taste
1. Combine coconut milk with one tablespoon of fish sauce and salt in a pan. Add the chicken breasts and 400 millilitres of cold water, or enough to just cover, and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 10 minutes, turning the chicken once or twice, then turn off the heat, cover and leave to steep for 30 minutes until cooked through.
2. Cook the green beans in simmering salted water for 4 minutes then drain. Shave the cucumbers lengthwise with a vegetable peeler.
3. To make the dressing, whisk four tablespoons of the chicken breasts' coconut broth with the remaining fish sauce, sugar, salt and lime juice.
4. To serve, drain the chicken and slice. Toss the green beans, cucumber and herbs in half the dressing and arrange on four plates. Add the chicken, spoon over remaining dressing, scatter with peanuts and chilli and serve with lime or lemon wedges.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken, Beans, Fresh herbs
- Cuisine - Thai
- Course - Dinner, Lunch, Main-course
- Occasion - Dinner Party, Family meals, Midweek dinner, Picnic