- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 125 g (4 1/2 oz) bacon, rind removed, roughly chopped
- 1.5 kg (3 lb 5 oz) boneless, skinless chicken pieces
- 350 g (12 oz) baby onions (use bulb or pickling onions)
- 2 tablespoons plain (all-purpose) flour
- 750 ml (26 fl oz/3 cups) dry red wine
- 250 g (9 oz) field mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Heat the oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish. Add the bacon and cook for 5 minutes, or until golden, then remove. Add the chicken and cook, in batches, for 4-5 minutes, or until browned. Remove. Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until browned, then remove from the casserole dish.
2. Add the flour to the casserole dish and stir well, remove from the heat and slowly stir in the red wine. Return to the heat, bring to the boil and return the bacon and chicken to the dish. Cover and cook in the oven for 1 hour. Return the onions to the dish and add the mushrooms. Cook for a further 30 minutes. Season to taste and garnish with the thyme. Serve with crusty bread or pasta.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken
- Cuisine - French
- Course - Main-course
- Occasion - Family meals